- It is estimated that around 800,000 cases of gonorrhea occur each year in the United States.
- The cost of gonorrhea and its complications is around $1.1 billion dollars each year.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), caused by gonorrhea, affects one million women every year.
- Cases of gonorrhea infection increased by 9% from 1997 to 1999 in the United States.
- Gonorrhea cases peaked in the 1970s, then decreased, and are now increasing again.
- Teenage girls account for the highest rates (percentage) of cases of gonorrhea.