In The Know Zone

Gonorrhea Testing

Testing and Diagnosis

A doctor or nurse will test for gonorrhea. Only a health care professional at places like a hospital, clinic, or family planning clinic can test for gonorrhea. Gonorrhea can be diagnosed in different ways.

Most often, urine or swab tests are done for gonorrhea. In women, the cervix or opening to the womb is swabbed. Among men, a sample is taken from the tip of the penis.

A doctor or nurse can also test for gonorrhea in the throat. You will be contacted with results.

Make sure you get tested for syphilis and HIV/AIDS if you are diagnosed with other STDs like chlamydia and gonorrhea.

In The Know: STI Pamphlet/ DVD Package
In the Know: STI Pamphlet Package